The State Government initiated the evolution of Regional Food Groups to support the State Food Plan objectives to develop and grow the food industry.
Originally a body administered by a government appointed officer, Food Riverland continues as a membership-based food group to the present day, administered entirely by volunteers.
Projects initiated by Food Riverland Inc have included:
- Riverland Farmers’ Market
The Market commenced trading during November 2005 in the township of Barmera at Bruce Oval, then, after 14 months of trading, moved to the Senior Citizens’ Hall, Berri, where it currently operates.The Riverland Farmers’ Market was initially governed by a sub-committee which reported back to Food Riverland Inc. through the chairperson of the market who sat on the Food Riverland Inc committee. In 2011 the Food Riverland Inc Committee took over the governing of the Riverland Farmers’ Market. The Committee is responsible for the management, success, growth and accountability of the market. The Committee chairperson works closely with the Market Manager and the stallholders to further evolve the market and keep it a vibrant part of the community. The Market supports local producers to develop, supplement and grow their businesses, and provides an opportunity for the community to purchase local produce directly from producers. It also fosters a sense of community by providing a meeting place for locals and tourists. A large number of tourists visits the Market, and the Market won the Best 2009 Tourist Attraction Award presented by the Riverland Tourist Association.
- Chefs of the Murray
The Nippy’s Chefs of the Murray began in 2005, and showcased Riverland wine, produce and products in a prestigious event. The event will not be held during 2013 but is planned to be returned during Autumn 2014 in a new format as a regional ‘Tasting Australia’ event. For more information about previous Chefs of the Murray dinners, please click here.
- Renaissance Events – Pranzo and Lakeside Jazz [Currently, these events are not held]
- Formation of the Riverland Organic Group – this group is currently not active but please click here for more information about this group.
- Provision of Training Courses in Coffee Making, Safe Food Handling, Customer Service, Marketing, Food Labelling, Responsible Service of Alcohol.
- Co-ordination of promotions & advertising in magazines & food fair.
- Media liaison in the Riverland
- Liaison with Riverland Wine & Destination Riverland.
PO Box 2380, Berri, SA, 5343
FOOD RIVERLAND INC. COMMITTEE
Ed Cottam email@example.com 0417855564 85832153
Judy Cottam & John Dawes
Phil Sims (Deputy-Chairperson)
Patria Kohler firstname.lastname@example.org 85824864 or 0417824648